Investigation 1 – PostLab
Complete the Analysis Questions in your SDR then discuss them as a class.
- Think about the changes in density observed as the air in the flask was heated and cooled. How could the changes in density be used to explain why the colder air was found below the warmer air in the experiments with the ice cube and metal cube?
- How did the air move around the metal cube?
- How did the air move around the ice pack?
- Imagine that the metal cube was a model of the land found at the Equator and the ice pack was a model of the land found around the north and south poles. Look at the picture of the Earth below. How would the air move around the Earth?
Complete the Focus Questions in your SDR then discuss them as a class.
- What happens to air as it is heated and cooled?
- How do changes in the temperature of air affect its density?
- Why do changes in density cause air movement?
- How do differences in the temperature of the Earth’s atmosphere affect the movement of air?