Investigation 3 – PostLab
Note: Questions marked with a triangle (∆) are included to enrich your understanding. These questions do not appear in your SDR but should be used as additional discussion points during the PostLab.
As a class, discuss the structures that you were able to observe in the six slides you viewed during this investigation.
- ∆ Based on your knowledge of plant and animal cells, which structures should you have been able to see in all of the plant cells? Were you able to see them?
- ∆ Why were you unable to distinguish between the cell wall and the cell membrane in the plant cells?
- ∆ Why were you unable to view the nuclear membrane, centrosome, Golgi, endoplasmic reticulum, central vacuole, microfilaments, microtubules, mitochondria, plasma membrane, and plasmodesmata?
- ∆ Why were you unable to view any chloroplasts in the onion cell?
- ∆ Based on your knowledge of plant and animal cells, which structures should you have been able to see in all of the animal cells? Were you able to see them?
- ∆ How are cells from one organism different from or similar to the cells of another? How might you answer the question after you observed the last set of specimens?
As a class, discuss whether or not cells from the same organism are identical.
- ∆ Were the two cell samples from the Elodea plant identical?
- ∆ Compare your observations of the blood smear slide, the cheek cell slide, and the large intestine slide. Were the cells in each of those slides identical?
- Are all cells from the same organism identical?
Recall all of the cells you viewed throughout Investigations One through Three.
- ∆ Why do you think cells from the same organism differ?
- ∆ How does the arrangement of cells within a tissue affect the function of an organ?
Complete the Analysis Question in your SDR then discuss it as a class.
- Based on your observations, would you agree or disagree with the following statement? Explain your answer. “The function of a tissue or organism depends only on the cellular organelles in the cells.”
Complete the Focus Questions in your SDR then discuss them as a class.
- How are the structures in plant and animal cells similar to and different from each other?
- Are all cells from the same organism the same?