Investigation 1 – PostLab
Complete the Analysis Questions in your SDR then discuss them as a class.
- Create a bar graph to show the relationship between the energy in an ecosystem and the levels of an ecosystem. Use the data from Table A to create the graph.
- Which level of the sample ecosystem is considered the bottom level? Which level is considered the top level?
- Is all of the energy from the Sun transferred from one level to the next? How did the amount of energy change from one level to the next? Explain your answer using data from the experiment.
- Study your graph. How could the energy relationship between the levels be described in terms of a food chain?
- Is energy flow efficient from one level of an ecosystem to the next? Use your data to support your answer.
- How did the presence of clouds in the sky affect the amount of energy that reaches the Earth?
- Look at the data you collected in Table C. At which level of the ecosystem is most of the biomass located?
- At which level of the ecosystem is the least amount of biomass located?
- Do you see a pattern in the amount of biomass as you move up the levels in the ecosystem? Explain.
- Look back at the graph of energy at each level of the ecosystem. What type of pattern did you see?
- Is the pattern in the energy graph similar to the pattern of changes in biomass through the ecosystem? Explain your answer.
- Do you think the amount of energy in one level is related to the amount of biomass in that level? Explain your answer.
- Based on the results of the “Cloudy Sky” experiment, how might dust from a volcanic eruption affect the amount of energy and the amount of biomass in an ecosystem?
Complete the Focus Questions in your SDR then discuss them as a class.
- How does energy move through an ecosystem?
- What affects the amount of energy in an ecosystem?
ANALYZE IT – OPTIONAL EXTENSION
- How did adding omnivores to the ecosystem affect the change in biomass through the ecosystem?
- Knowing what you do about the relationship between energy and biomass in an ecosystem, how would adding omnivores to the ecosystem affect the flow of energy through the ecosystem?