Weathering and Erosion
In Investigation One, you will explore the chemical and physical weathering of rocks and minerals. During this Investigation, you will:
- Attempt to physically weather marble chips.
- Chemically weather marble chips with hydrochloric acid.
- Simulate continued chemical weathering on marble by submerging calcium carbonate into hydrochloric acid.
In Investigation Two, you will analyze several factors that cause erosion including wind, water, slope, and obstacles. During this Investigation, you will:
- Model the effects of erosion on two different slopes.
- Observe the effects of erosion when obstacles and vegetation are present.
In Investigation three, you will study the various components of soil that result from weathering and erosion. During this Investigation, you will:
- Compare and contrast the appearance of the components of soil such as sand, gravel, and organic material.
- Use a sieve to separate each component of soil to identify the size and amount of each component in a soil sample.